4.19.2011

Assignment that was due like a hundred years ago


I was thinking about Jean Kilbourne's speech about body image, and then I was thinking about an image of thin body juxtaposed with a burger, and then I thought about a skull and mcdonalds burgers, and then this happened.

The assignment was to create a grid of drawings in charcoal. I didn't use nice paper for this because I haven't had a chance to go to Utrecht, but this is one of my better ones anyway. Fuck nice paper, it's so expensive 8[


My thoughts:

I wanted a realistic skull and a realistic Ronald McDonald [reference here] juxtaposed with a crude, cartoon-y burger.

We idolize BURGERS as some sort of luscious and even sexy god. It's really weird. We give fast food fat names, voices, personalities, sex appeal, and more. Yet we don't see it as a real problem sometimes.

Ronald McDonald is sort of the human entity of The Burger, and he is real, yet he's not. He's just some painted white-face dude with wrinkles and a limited career.

And skulls are real, but the one I used as a reference is actually a wax candle that my aunt gave to me. The drawing in itself is a sort of an embodiment of the real thing. The drawing is of a real thing, and is a real thing. And now it has what I intended to be a tongue, I'm not sure if that's translating correctly. I was thinking of the exoticism of The Burger. Nowadays, advertisers aren't even subtle about it.


That's super disjointed, but I'm still processing it. Hope I don't smudge it before critique BUHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write shit here, I guess.