4.28.2010

Assignment: Repaint a classic piece



I chose to paint Francois Lemoyne's Woman Bathing because I need work on nude figures and landscapes [I think I already mentioned that?]. Just doing an underpainting for right now. I know I'm not supposed to put color in it, but I couldn't help it. Also, I ran out of dark brown paint. I am lazy and dislike mixing paint. lol 


In just the one hour I've spent on this so far, I've learned that this is a cross-shaped composition. Everything is based of a giant cross in the middle. Feels great to already be learning so much!


Here is the original. I hope to get somewhere near this:




After 2 hours. Ughhh I am so impatient. Need to learn that dark comes before light. Details are annoying.


And after 3 hours. I should've gone to bed... 3 hours ago. Hooray. ಠ_ಠ [stupid macs won't give me the font to see this stupid face aughhh it is the best and the worst face]

The colors are much warmer in my room than in the study room, that's why the photo colors look different. 

Note to self: Twist upper body to the left, make leg on right thicker, make ankle on left less bulbous, can still lower dirt / decrease water size a bit, consider raising the head, tilt girl on right's head forward from the top, decrease pointedness of elbow, work more on trees and fabric 

Things I've learned tonight:

1. Cross composition
2. The lighting is very different depending on where you are ughhhh
3. I must overcome my impatience because DARK COMES BEFORE LIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write shit here, I guess.