10.07.2010

Owning My Ignorance

I used to say that the only time I was offended was when someone else was offended, but now I am trying to grasp different thinking. Why should I decry someone for being offended, for being sensitive, for having an emotional reaction? If anything, I should praise them for feeling so offended, and I should encourage them to speak up and tell me why so that I may understand where they are coming from. 

I don't like to cry in front of people. I think it's because of a sensitivity complex I have, where I don't like to reveal that yes, I may very well be sensitive to something [but I also think crying puts me in a physically ugly state, regardless of emotional beauty]. I shouldn't need to apologize for having feelings. 

And no, I have feelings because I'm a human being, not because it's a feminine thing to do. I will say I'm sorry that you may have some sort of macho complex or homophobia [specifically, fear of being seen as stereotypically gay/feminine, which I guess is also part of a macho complex]. 

I can only hope that one day you, too, will realize that you are human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write shit here, I guess.